Massmart Recognises Nestlé For Industry-leading Commitment To Environmental Sustainability
- Comments Off on Massmart Recognises Nestlé For Industry-leading Commitment To Environmental Sustainability
Massmart is pleased to announce that Nestlé was today awarded top honours at the Massmart Supplier Environmental Awards. Now in their fifth year, the awards recognise top performing suppliers who have demonstrated an industry leading commitment to sustainable supply chain management.
Massmart Sustainability Executive Alexander Haw says “Nestlé’s Zero Water manufacturing facility in Mossel Bay, Western Cape is an incredible example of outstanding environmental stewardship and sets the company apart as leader in sustainability. The company saved an impressive 168 million litres of water through this zero water technology dairy manufacturing facility.”
Since 2009 Massmart has worked closely with suppliers to understand and track the progress they are making in ensuring their products are manufactured sustainably. To date, the group has profiled and benchmarked the environmental practices of more than 2000 suppliers through focused advocacy surveys and environmental assessments. These cover, among other things: packaging rationalisation, water conservation, operational energy efficiency, environmental product attributes, third-party certification and biodiversity impact mitigation.
“We have always maintained that we want our customers to walk into our stores and trust that we have carefully considered the products on our shelves, and have ensured that they have been produced and sourced sustainably. We know that we cannot do this alone, which is why we work closely with our suppliers to ensure that the products we sell are designed and manufactured in an environmentally-thoughtful manner” says Haw.
To be considered for the awards, suppliers had to have operations located in South Africa, have publicly disclosed information confirming survey feedback and they must not have received environmental sanctions or censure within the past twelve months.
Meet the finalists:
The finalist’s assessment process included an environmental self-assessment survey, stakeholder input from leading environmental NGOs and site visits to verify their survey feedback. The finalists include:
- Backsberg Wines: The only South African Winery, and one of only three in the world, to be carbon neutral;
- Belgotex: South Africa’s first Custom Industrial 6 Green Star rating for their Pietermaritzburg manufacturing plant;
- Coca-Cola beverages SA: Installed 10.4MW of solar PV capacity, producing 18 million kWh of renewable energy a year;
- Avondale Wines: 55% water-savings achieved per bottle through natural water filtration and computerised irrigation;
- Distell: 25% of like –for- like water use reduced since 2016;
- L’Oreal: 7 294 tonnes of raw materials replaced with recycled materials;
- Mondi: 27% of plantation area reserved for conservation;
- Sappi: 800 MW of renewable power generated on 14 sites in seven countries
- Woodlands dairy: 53% reduction in water use, saving 19 000 kl of water per month
At the awards ceremony, these top performing suppliers were honoured for their commitment to sustainable supply chain management and Nestlé was named the overall winner for 2018.
Haw concludes “The finalists have been outstanding in their efforts to incorporate sustainable practices in the way that they run their operations and design their products. Although the size and nature of their businesses differ significantly, they have been able to derive benefit through considered, holistic sustainability interventions that have materially lessened their collective footprints.”
For Media Enquiries and/ or to attend the event:
Massmart Communication Manager
011 517 6041/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
Massmart is a managed portfolio of four divisions, each focused on high volume, low margin, low-cost distribution of mainly branded consumer goods for cash, through 436 stores in 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. At Massmart we recognise that we have a role to play in working with our suppliers to manufacture and source products in an environmentally sustainable and responsible manner.
Massmart Sustainability Fast Facts:
- We are the only retailer in South Africa to use DNA-Testing to ensure that our seafood is sustainably sourced.
- We have produced 6.5 million kWh of renewable energy at our stores to date. This is most amongst in South African retailers.
- We are the only retailer in South Africa to install atmospheric water generators at our stores. This has enabled us to produce up to 20 000 litres of water per day from the air at our stores.