Massmart Urban Bookshelf 2018 competition
Rules, Terms and Conditions
- The Organiser is Masstores (Pty) Ltd trading as Massmart Services.
- Entrants of the 2018 Massmart Urban Bookshelf Competition must be South African citizens between the ages of 18-35 years old and must furnish an original South African identity document, where requested by Massmart.
- Entrants must be residents of Alexandra, Johannesburg and must furnish proof of residence, where requested by Massmart.
- Entrants must have a valid South African bank account held in their name.
- To enter the Competition, entrants must create an illustration on an A2 size paper or canvas inspired by the theme Nelson Mandela’s legacy. Submit your original illustration, clearly marked with your full name, ID number and a valid cell phone number to the collection box at Three Square Sports Centre, number 4684-4685 13th Ave, Alexandra, 2014, by no later than 17H00 on 13 August 2018.
The Competition will be split in two rounds:
- Round 1 – starts 14 August 2018: all illustrations submitted by entrants who meet the criteria identified in item 1 and 2 above will be assessed by Massmart’s Panel of Judges. The Judges thereafter select five finalists on 15 August 2018.
- The five selected finalists will each receive an art hamper that includes spray paint, markers, sketch pads, canvas and respirator mask, worth R1 500 (one thousand five hundred Rand) from Massmart.
- The entrants of Round 1 will be assessed on: interpretation and application of the theme; style; authenticity and technique.
- Round 2 – only the five selected finalists from Round one will participate in this round. This round starts on 18 August 2018 where the five finalists will be required to be present and create original illustration to Massmart’s Panel of Judges and a live audience. The second round is a live creation of your illustration and Massmart will sponsor all material on the day. The five finalists will be given 5 hours (from 09H00-14H00) to create their design. The Second Round will be assessed by the Massmart Panel of Judges on 18 August 2018 at 15H00.
- The entrants of Round 2 will be assessed on: innovation; technique and application of the theme Nelson Mandela’s Legacy. After the Judges assess the design, they will identify the winner of the Competition. The winner of the Competition will be contacted by Massmart on the details provided.
- The winner of the Competition will be publically announced and the winning illustration will be unveiled at a press event at 10am on 3 September 2018 at Three Square Sports Centre, number 4684-4685 13th Ave, Alexandra, 2014.
- The winner will receive R10 000.00 (ten thousand Rand) in cash which will be deposited into their valid South African bank account. The winner will be afforded an opportunity to have their artwork displayed in the Massmart Urban Bookshelf indefinitely.
- The winner and the winning artwork will be presented at press functions; social media and any other publicity and/or media channels which Massmart deem appropriate. It is the responsibility of all entrants to ensure that their entry strictly adheres to the Rules of the Competition.
- Massmart reserves the right to reject any entry that does not comply with these Rules and/or to disqualify any entrants on the basis of non-adherence to the Rules of the Competition.
- The winner will be contacted telephonically on the cell phone number provided by the entrant to enter the Competition and they will be contacted within a reasonable period of time after the Panel of Judges have assessed the artwork and evaluated the qualifying criteria.
- The winner will then be required to provide their relevant contact details and will be requested to email a certified copy of their original South African ID book, banking details including proof of South African bank account held by the entrant and proof of being a resident within Alexandra, Johannesburg to a representative of the Organiser.
- Massmart will not be liable for any delays caused with effecting payment to the winner. The Winner must be available to attend the media events.
By entering this Competition, the entrants accept these Rules, terms and conditions and agree to abide by them. Any entrant may request to be furnished with a copy of these Rules, terms and conditions at no cost.