Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Guy Hayward, chairs Massmart’s Executive Committee. It comprises key Executives in the Group including the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Other members of the Committee include the Group Chief Information Officer, Supply Chain and Logistics Executive, the Group Human Capital Executive, the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer, the Group Financial Services Executive and the Group Corporate Affairs Executive. Further it includes the four Divisional Chief Executives, Group Legal Executive, General Counsel and Company Secretary and the Group Commercial Executive.
The CEO and CFO are the most senior decision-making Executives in the Group. With the help of the Committee they deliberate, take decisions on or make recommendations on all matters of strategy and operations. Within the parameters described by the Board-approved Delegation of Authority, the decisions or recommendations are sometimes referred to the Board or its relevant Committee for final approval, while in other cases the power to take decisions is delegated to the CEO and CFO.
The Executive Committee assists the CEO and CFO with specific responsibilities, inter alia:
- Monitoring and measuring the structures, trends and performance of markets and competition;
- Strategic planning;
- Defining, configuring, financing and structuring the Group’s portfolio of assets;
- Shaping and approving the competitive strategies, growth and operating plans and budgets of the Divisions and functional departments;
- Measuring, monitoring and taking proactive corrective action on Divisional performance;
- Ensuring adequate risk management, internal controls, governance, compliance and ethical behaviour throughout the Group; and
- Shaping and approving succession plans and senior executive management appointments.
Whilst at Henley Jane was awarded the prize for outstanding academic achievement for leadership effectiveness and the prize for outstanding academic achievement for managing people.
Jane joined the Massmart Executive Committee in May 2015.
Joe’s career at The Coca-Cola Company (TCCC) spanned well over a decade, during which time he held various senior legal and corporate counsel roles including Group Intellectual Property Counsel, based in the UK. Joe joins the Massmart Group from British American Tobacco South Africa where he held the role of General Counsel and Head of Legal & External Affairs, and was a member of the Area Leadership Team and Board for their Southern Africa business.
Joe joined the Massmart Executive Committee in 2016.
Albert worked as Chief Operating Officer at SHV Makro in South America for two years. He joined Massmart in August 2016 as the Divisional CEO for Massdiscounters and joined the Massmart Executive Committee in the same year