Our employees are provided with the opportunity to earn competitive rewards and develop their talents in a very commercially orientated work environment where emphasis is placed on respect for individual rights. We have a demanding work ethic and our employees are cognizant of the level of performance required for their own and the Group’s continued success.
Human Capital Scorecard 2012
For a year-on-year comparison click here
Ensuring a healthy, productive workforce
Our ability to attract and retain the right people to work with us in a challenging, low-cost retail environment is fundamental to our business success:
- We offer rewarding retail careers in a safe and healthy workplace that encourages talent and career development.
- We emphasise affirmative action practices to ensure equality.
- We provide free anti-retroviral treatment for our HIV-positive permanent staff members and their spouses, and have introduced other ongoing initiatives to make affordable primary health care available to help bridge the gap for employees who need health care support, but find little within their price range available on the market.
- We launched OCSA, an occupational health product that provides employees (who have historically relied mainly on public health services) with access to a network of private CareCross doctors for basic dentistry, optical care and chronic medication at affordable rates paid in part by Massmart.
- Our Impilo wellness programme comprises one of the most comprehensive corporate HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment programmes in the country.
- Impilo also includes free annual check-ups for early diagnosis of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, unsafe blood sugar levels, obesity and, at larger sites, eye screening provided.
- Through travelling clinics run on location and staffed by external health care professionals.
- Employees also enjoy free access to Impilo’s 24-hour telephone helpline for professional medical advice.
Growing retail knowledge in SA
South Africa’s well-documented skills shortage affects the retail sector in the scarcity of experienced buyers, planners, business analysts and senior executives, and it is vital that we nurture our knowledge base to contribute to Massmart’s distinctive high performance culture.
- The Massmart Corporate University grows experienced career retailers to contribute significantly to our organisation, to the local industry and, in fact, to retailing anywhere in the world.
- This virtual university comprises the Massmart School of Leadership Development, the School of Retail Excellence and the School of Management Development and the Centre for Career Development which houses the Massmart Graduate Programme.
- Courses are run in conjunction with Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Cape Town, University of Witwatersrand, Centre for Creative Leadership and the University of Stellenbosch, Harvard, Babson College and includes executives making annual visits to the Sam M Walton College of Business in Arkansas USA.
- For executives and emerging leaders, the university offers the Executive Development (EDP) and Leadership Development Programmes (LDP). As part of these offering, candidates are exposed to global leadership insight and personal action learning. Personal Mastery is promoted through business simulations and assessments.
- Middle Managers are exposed to a cutting edge developmental programme in the Senior and Management Development Programme (SMDP and MDP) Candidates take part in business related courses as well as developmental tools to assist in transitioning to the next management levels.
- The flagship Graduate Development programme brings in key talent from universities and exposes them to a year of retail value chain teaching and specialization in a chosen field. Areas of specialisation have a direct link to key scarce skills in our business and the retail sector as a whole.
- The School of Retail Excellence hosts key retail specific courses such as the Strategic Retail Management Course presented by Babson College and the Massmart Merchant Development Programme. The school also hosts special retail conferences in fields such as Private Label which are central to the Massmart business model.